Coffee and Cardamom is a flavor combination I’d neve experienced together until I lived in the UAE. The first time I was handed a cup of Cardamom Coffee was during Iftar in Abu Dhabi. I remember being extremely skeptical as in my mind Cardamom only paired well with Tea. And boy was I wrong!! Coffee and Cardamom are a match made in heaven. The intoxicating aroma and sweet taste of Cardamom tastes magical when paired with Coffee.
My Filter Coffee and Cardamom Phirni today is inspired by all the delicious cups of Cardamom Coffee I devoured in the UAE. This Diwali do try this slightly off beat recipe and surprise your palette with this unique juxtaposition of flavors.
Have a wonderful day!
CARDAMOM & FILTER COFFEE PHIRNI
A unique Phirni (Rice Pudding) recipe inspired by the Arabic Cardamom Coffee. A unique and delightful treat to make your Diwali extra special.
- 2 tbsp Shortgrain Rice
- 1/2 litre Milk
- 2 tbsp Almond Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder (freshly pounded)
- 1/4 Cup Condensed Milk
- 1/4 Cup Filter Coffee Decoction OR
- 2 tsp Instant Coffee Powder
- Soak Rice in water for an hour
- Wash and blend the Rice with little water until you get a slightly coarse paste
- Add milk to a large saucepan, add the Rice paste and bring to a simmer. Keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Stir constantly until the pudding thickens
- Add Condensed Milk, Cardamom, Almond Powder and Filter Coffee decoction. Stir for another few minutes until the desired thickness is achieved.
- Transfer to serving bowls. Top with Rose Petals, Pistachio and Sliver Leaf.Refrigerate for few hours and enjoy.