Dal Tarka/ Yellow Lentils tempered with Ghee/ Oil and spices is a staple in most Indian homes. This nourishing, simple and soul satisfying recipe is part of every Indian home. A basic meal of Lentils and steamed Rice paired with Indian pickle, Curd and Papadum is what we live for.
Everytime I go on a vacation, this the meal I want to come home to. There are many variations to this recipe. Every home has their own Dal Tarka recipe. This lentil can be made with or without Onions, Ginger, Garlic, Tomatoes etc. My mother always made this lentil with very basic spices and I have always followed suit. The flavor in her Dal Tarka comes from dried Red Chillies, slit Green Chillies, Cumin, Curry leaves and Asafoetida fried in Mustard Oil. I make this Dal Tarka very often and much to my relief my family enjoys this simple staple immensely. On days when I’m pressed for time or not in a mood to cook, this simple, no fuss recipe always comes to my rescue.
Hope you try this and love this as much as we do. Do tag me @supaintsonplates #supaintsonplates on Instagram if you make my Yellow Dal Tarka. I would love to hear from you.
YELLOW DAL TARKA
- 1/4 Cup Yellow Mung Dal
- 1/4 Cup Red Masoor Dal
- 2 tbsp White Urad Dal
- 2.5 Cups Water
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- 2 dried Red Chillies
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1/4 tsp Asafotida
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Coriander chopped
- Wash the lentils and add to the pressure cooker along with Salt, Turmeric and Water .
- Cook for 1 whistle
- To a small pan, add oil, once medium hot, add cumin and asafotida.
- Once the cumin seeds pop, add the curry leaves and whole red and slit green chillies
- Add this tempering to the boiled lentils along with lime juice and chopped coriander
- Enjoy with some piping hot steamed Rice