It was my first week in hostel and I was miserable. I had been looking forward to graduating with my friends away from home and now all I could think of was home.
As I sat in the hostel mess trying to eat the insipid spinach and potato curry, tears welled up and all I could think of was moms curry made with abundant love. I had taken her for granted, and I guess being away taught me many many lessons.
Yesterday while organising some old pictures I came across many from hostel days and this incident came to my mind.
I remembered mom’s spinach and potato curry hence made this Indian inspired spinach and potato soup keeping in mind the intoxicating flavours of mom’s curry.
This soup is extremely flavorful, healthy, delicious, vegan and glutenfree. I always find that adding potato to soup makes it extremely creamy and one does not have to use flour, cornstarch etc. The green chillies, garlic, cinnamon and slight cardamom flavour makes the soup irresistibly seductive. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Don’t forget to tag me in your pictures on Instagram @supaintsonplates #supaintsonplates . I would love to hear from you.
Spinach & Potato Soup
- 1 tbsp Garlic chopped
- 2 potatoes roughly chopped
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach
- 2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2-3 Cardamom pods
- Green Chillies to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Pink Peppercorns
- Add oil to a skillet and heat it
- Add Cinnamon and Cardamom Pods
- Add garlic and sautee until brown
- Add Green Chillies
- Add chopped Potatoes
- Cover and cook until the potatoes are soft and slightly caramelized from the outside
- Add the stock and some salt aand simmer
- Remove from the stove and remove the Cinnamon and Cardamom pods from the broth
- Add the Spinach leaves and leave only for a minute else they will lose colour
- Blend the ssoup to a fine consistency with the help of a hand blender
- Warm before serving and top with some Pink Peppercorns and Olive Oil.