Pickled Onions, infamously called “Sirke Wale Pyaz” are a quintessential accompaniment to a North Indian meal. They pair extremely well with a creamy luscious Curry or Dal Makhani. The delicious tang of the pickled Onions alongside a rich Curry tastes absolutely magical.
When I was young I looked forward to eating these Pickled Onions at restaurants. Little did I know then that one day I will be making my own version of this delicious side dish. My recipe of Pickled Onions is ridiculously simple and effortless. Not to forget that I’m in awe of the drop dead gorgeous Fuchsia color every time I make these.
I now make these almost every week and have a jar of Pickled Onions always stored in my refrigerator.
HOW TO MAKE PICKLED ONIONS:
1) Add washed and peeled baby Onions, sliced Beetroot, Salt, White Vinegar and lukewarm Water to a mixing bowl and mix well
2) Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight
3) After 8-10 hours, the Onions would have pickled and obtained a delicious tang and a vibrant Fuchsia colour.
4) You can store these in a glass jar and keep them refrigerated for upto a week.
HOW TO EAT PICKLED ONIONS:
You can pair these Pickled Onions with your favorite Curries, Lentils, add them to Salads, Wraps, Sandwiches etc.
- 20-25 Small Onions peeled
- 1 large Beetroot sliced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar optional
- 1 Cup Water lukewarm
- 4 tbsp White Vinegar
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix well
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight
- After 8-10 hours, the Onions would have picked and obtained a delicious tang and vibrant fuchsia colour.
- You can store the Pickled Onions in a glass jar and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- You can pair these with your favorite Curries, or add them to Salads, Wraps, Sandwiches etc.