There is a certain joy in eating chilled Curry with bowl of piping hot rice on a warm afternoon. This was my lunch few days back when the temperature was still warm in the afternoons. Southekayi Hasi Gojju a Karnataka style Raw Curry made with Cucumber and Coconut. Packed with bold flavours of curry leaf, mustard, asafotida, cilantro and green chillies. Paired with a bowl of hot Matta Rice/ Red Rice and Papadum, this lunch was pure magic.
I had this Curry years back at a friends place and I had been meaning to make it ever since. Since this Cucumber and Coconut Curry is made with simple ingredients which I had in my refrigerator and pantry, I decided to give it a try. If you are looking for a ten minute curry recipe that’s healthy, vegan, gluten free and flavour packed, this is your one stop shop.
Do try and tag me in your pictures on Instagram @supaintsonplates #supaintsonplates. I would love to hear from you.
CUCUMBER AND COCONUT CURRY
- 1 Large Cucumber seedless
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Coconut grated
- 2 Green Chillies slit from the middle
- Coriander Leaves handful
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Roasted Gram/ Chana Dal/ Putana
- 1 tsp Ginger chopped
- 6-7 Curry Leaves
- 1 Cup Water
FOR THE TEMPERING:
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Asafotida
- Slit Green Chillies to taste
- Finely dice the Cucumber and keep aside
- To a blender add Coriander leaves, Curry leaves, Ginger, roasted Gram, Coconut, Green Chillies, Salt, Lemon juice and blend to a fine paste
- Transfer to a serving bowl and add the diced cucumber
- Heat oil in a small pan
- Add cumin and mustard seeds, once they crackle add asafotida, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Top the Cucumber Curry with this tempering
- Enjoy with a hot bowl of Rice and Papadum