“Food makes travel so exceptional, because you get to taste what it’s actually supposed to taste like.”
I had the good fortune of visiting Sri Lanka several times as I lived in close proximity on the islands of Maldives for three years. I fell head over heels in love with the warm people, the picturesque countryside, the best window shopping, and most of all the most delicious and spicy food.
Today’s recipe is Srilankan Parippu Dal (spicy lentils cooked in coconut milk) served with Matta Rice/ unpolished Red Rice.
Do make this and tag me on Instagram @supaintsonplates #supaintsonplates. I would love to hear from you.
A truly unique Lentil dish cooked with Coconut Milk, Curry Leaves and Spices.
- 1 Cup Red Lentil
- 3 Cups Water
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafotida
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger chopped
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chillies slit
- Fresh Coriander handful (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Cream
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Wash the Lentils, transfer to a pot with Eater, add Salt and Turmeric, and boil for about 15 minutes until cooked and the lentil still holds its shape (al dente)
- Heat another pan and add Oil
- Add Asafotida, Cumin and Mustard Seeds
- Once the seeds pop add Curry Leaves, Garlic, Ginger and Onion, and sautee till light brown
- Add the Green Chillies and the boiled lentils, and bring to a gentle simmer
- Add Coconut Cream, Lime Juice and chopped Coriander
- Serve with steamed Red Rice
Can you please post a complete video on YouTube and share the link of the same. It will be more convenient.Thanks.
There is another version of this on my Instagram reels