VEGAN SOM TAM
My Vegan version of Som Tam, Thai Papaya Salad. Crunchy, Sweet, Salty and Nutty, this addictively delicious salad recipe is a keeper
- 1 med size Raw Papaya julienned
- 8-10 Cherry Tomatoes
- 8-10 Basil leaves
- 12-15 Mint leaves
- 12-15 Coriander leaves with stem
- 1 stalk of Lemongrass finely chopped
- 4-5 Kaffir Lime leaves finally sliced
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Roasted Skinned Peanuts
- 2-3 Bird eye Chillies
- 2-3 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Palm Sugar/ Raw Sugar/ Coconut Sugar/ Jaggery
To Make the Dressing:
To a mixing bowl add Lime Juice, Olive Oil, Palm Sugar, lemongrass, bird eye chillies, kaffir lime leaves and Salt.
Mix well and refrigerate for a couple hours so the flavors can steep well.
To Make the Salad
Add shredded Papaya, Cherry Tomatoes, Basil, Mint and Coriander to a large bowl.
Add the dressing. You can use the mortar and pestle to pound some of the papaya and cherry tomatoes and add to the bowl.
Mix well and refrigerate for an hour.
Transfer the skinned Roasted Peanuts to the Mortar Pestle and pound coarsely.
After an hour, remove the Sakad from the refrigerator. Add the crushed Peanuts anand transfer to a serving bowl. Top with some more crushed Peanuts and fresh herbs. Enjoy